SLPs during the first week of school can be, well…..interesting. We have to be flexible those first couple of weeks back because things just change at a moments notice. Who am I kidding!? We have to be flexible ALL. YEAR. LONG. Although, that first week of school can be increasingly difficult to be flexible when transitioning back to managing a caseload. For some of you, a GIANT caseload.
There are many emotions an SLP goes through during the first week of school. I thought, “What person could express those SLP emotions than Tom Cruise?”. Some of my favorite movies from him are Jerry McGuire, A Few Good Men, Far and Away and Minority report.
SLPs During The 1st Week Of School
It is always a little more fun to talk about the successes and challenges we face in the speech world through a movie clip!
1. When the SLP finishes their speech schedule for the year.
2. Being told that you have to move all your stuff to a new room because they needed your space for something more important like a lab, or storage for curriculum or who knows what else.
3. Trying to convince the teachers to let you take there kids at a certain day or time for speech services.
4. The SLP trying to find out how LARGE their caseload is REALLY going to be this year.
5. The SLP trying to find someone who will listen to them about needing supplies, tests, resources, trainings, etc.
6. The SLP trying to explain to their middle school students that you are there to help them improve their speech and language skills.
7. When your Starbuck’s coffee completes you, so you can do your job proficiently that first month back.
8. Reminding your students that you are back and they have speech services.
9. When an SLP is on their 8th draft of their speech schedule and a teacher or admin wants to change the schedule.
10. Making the rounds to all the teachers to share about their student’s speech and language goals for the year.
Well, there ya have it. Thank you Tom Cruise for helping me explain the life of a busy SLP to those that get it. What other emotions, successes, challenges do you face the first week back to school as an SLP?
Get new speech therapy ideas in weekly newsletters.
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.