Hey Hey Hey SLPs! This week I am going to be sharing 5 fall-themed books you can use to target CORE vocabulary. With students who are using alternative or augmentative communication, there are a CORE set of words that make up 70-90% of what we say on a daily basis. This small set of CORE vocabulary is relevant across a lot of contexts and can have many meanings.When selecting books for your fall-themed lessons, I have some books that can be great for targeting CORE vocabulary.
Sign Up for the 5-day AAC CORE Vocabulary Challenge starting October 11-15th on Facebook. By the end of the challenge implementing CORE vocabulary in therapy will feel a LOT less overwhelming because we will be sharing easy ideas for how to adapt materials and activities you already have to target CORE vocabulary.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- We’re Going on a Leaf Hunt by Steve Metzger – great for targeting “GO,” “Look,” “see,”
- Run, Turkey, Run by Diane Mayr you can work on “yes,” “no,” “go,” and “away.”
- Apple Trouble by Ragnhild Scamell is a great story that you can work on the CORE vocabulary “not” because the apple won’t come off no matter what the hedgehog does. You can also work on the CORE vocabulary “on,” “push,” “pull,” “laugh,” “help”
- Apple Picking Day by Candice Ransom is good for early readers as the text is shorter and can be good for “go,” “see,” “big/small,” “up,down,” “eat,” “no like, “fast,” “more,”
- Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman would be great for “pull,” “big,” “mine,”